Saturday, April 30, 2011

Firsts!

My host mom put my tie-dye towel
on our table for decoration!
This week was a week of firsts!  Wednesday night, I went to Country Day, the school I'm leading Young Life, to meet kids and the administration.  Later that evening we had club at Jonathan's house, whose mom is an FDA agent.   I also met the US ambassador's son at the high school that afternoon.  This is going to be a different type of ministry for sure!

Club was a blast!! We only had a few kids because its the end of the semester and academics are really important to these students.  They base everything on their academics and endure a lot of pressure from their parents to get into the best college from middle school on.  We played a wheelbarrow race game in which the students had to pick up cereal, milk, and a spoon to make a bowl of cereal with their mouths.  Then the partner carrying the student had to eat the cereal.  We also played a game envolving cheeseball throwing.... stringing a banana through everyone's clothes... sumo wrestling with balloons and much much more fun!!  We sang fun songs including "California Here We Come" except we changed it to "Costa Riiiiiica Here We Come!!"

Club of course, ended with Josh telling the kids about our need for something more...  He related it to a cup of water that we continually try to fill but we just can't seem to fill it all the way.  Then he said the only way to have a full cup is through a relationship with God.  John 10:10 "For I have come so they may have life and life to the full"

Thursday, I started language school at Instituto de Lenguaje Espanola (ILE).  The institute seems to be a wonderful place in which the staff serve missionaries by teaching them how to communicate and relate those who speak Spanish.  I'm excited to join this community for my first few months here.  I will be in class everyday for four hours a day through August.  Hopefully, this will enable me to be able to communicate more fluidly and with less effort, which will enable me to better relate to the kids.

Friday night, I went to my first Wyld Life club.  Wyld Life is our middle school ministry and many students come from multiple schools every other Friday night.  It was a wonderful night.  We played a ton of games that were set up in stations throughout the school lobby.  I met a lot of girls and can't wait to really get to know them.  They were very open and excited to meet me, so I hope to be able to hang out with them more in the coming months.

It's been a wonderful week of firsts!  This week I will begin regular language classes and continue with Young Life and Wyld Life.  I've enjoyed actually starting my normal life in Costa Rica.  I've realized I just need to let go and hand all control over to God and in doing so I've found much more peace.  Also, something that was drawn to my attention during our orientation at language school is that my attitude is under my control and I must chose to be content in the Lord.  I'm praying for contentment in the Lord above all because   the only one who can truly be present all the time.

  " You make known to me the path of life; 
   you will fill me with joy in your presence, 
   with eternal pleasures at your right hand."
                                          Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment