Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mi Vida Tica Begins!!

View From My Window!


      Last Thursday I arrived to San Jose, Costa Rica to begin my new life!!  I was picked up by two of my team members Josh  and Jessie and we went straight to my house to meet my new family here!  We had cafecito and enjoyed the evening together.  Cafecito is my favorite thing about Costa Rican culture.  It is the time of day that the family returns to the house after work and school to drink coffee and share their days with each other. 



My Room


My family is Dona Olga, Don Elbert, Diego and Juli.  Diego is their nephew who lives here while going to the local university and Juli is one their daughters.  Also, Dona Olga houses foster kids and we have a 12 year old boy who comes on the weekend and weeks off named Josue.  Oh and I can't forget our dogs... Poopi (puppy but they say poopi, poor dog...) and Sami.  


Friday, my first full day,  I spent the day at the Young Life office preparing for the week to come.  It was great to see all the staff and my friends from before.  Saturday, I loaded up on the bus with tons of teenagers to go to Vida Joven (Costa Rican Young Life) leadership camp.  We spent 4 days at camp learning the mission and ways of Young Life.  It was a very challenging experience for me especially for my second day because the training was all in Spanish.  Also, all the people spoke Spanish so needless to say I was pretty tired.... But it was a great way to start building relationships with the staff and kids.  
Jecka!!  Like a sister from my first visit!


Capernaum Ladies
Josh and Jessie

My favorite part of camp was our camp challenge and Josh and I were placed with the Capernaum group.  Capernaum, for those who don't know, is Young Life's ministry for the disabled.   This was one of the most powerful experiences of the Body of Christ I’ve ever experienced.   For this challenge we worked as a group to complete a series of physical obstacles.  One we were to crawl under a bed of wires without touching them.  Our group had a man and woman in a wheel chair that also completed this challenge but not alone.  Josué cannot walk but has extremely strong arms and pulled himself through this bed of cables and Lau was carried through the course.  It was amazing to see these leaders crawling through this course and carrying her the entire way. There were many other challenges where we worked as a body to support and carry each other through each one.  It was a perfect picture of the Body of Christ and how we are to work together and help each other.  Camp ended Tuesday evening with many students lives changed.  
Alone Time

Building a cow shelter
Lau and I fixing the roof!
Wednesday, I met a group of International students and the other leaders to go to our service project site.  There were four girls and five boys on our trip.  We worked at “Cave of Abdullam,” a missionary site created to house community events and ministries.  This is the site where Young Lives, Young Life’s teen mom ministry, meets.  We filled a septic tank, constructed a shelter for a cow, put in a water line,tiled the bathrooms, finished the cabinets, and fixed the roof in two short days.  I was amazed how these students worked so hard without complaining.  This was a wonderful experience getting to know these kids and learning about their community.   I am excited to see where the Lord leads these relationships and uses me to show kids their true need in life.

La Semana Santa- Holy Week- is a huge deal to the Costa Ricans.  Most of the city shuts down Thrusday and Friday.  Today, Saturday, I went with my family to visit their family.  We ate lunch with Dona Olga's mom, sisters, and brother.  It was a fun day exploring around the city and spending time with their family.  


Filling the Septic Tank
Its been an extremely full first week but I am thankful for every minute of it!!  I am learning how to speak Spanish better and learning the Tico way of life.  Thank you for all your prayers and support!  They are felt and would love for you to join me in prayers for the kids who made decisions to follow Christ this week.  This week I start my language school orientation and will start my regular Young Life duties.  Please pray for strength and patience during these first weeks away from home and in my new life!  
All the YL International Students









 

No comments:

Post a Comment