So two days ago I experienced what many experience every day of their lives... Toms Shoes is a company that sales shoes in order to provide shoes for children who do not have the means to own shoes. Their slogan is One for One meaning for every pair of shoes sold they will give one pair to a child in need. I love the mission behind these shoes and own a few pairs myself.
In an effort to raise awareness, they created a day for people to go without shoes. I've wanted to participate for a few years now and missed it every year but Monday April 5th I finally joined in the cause. I decided to reflect upon my experience of going a day without shoes and wanted to share it with you.
“No Shoes for a Day”
It’s just a day for me
A short 24 hours
But for millions this is their daily pain
They trek across desserts, mountains, and plains
Cold chill blustering through my toes
Sharp needles standing on the cold
Puncture wounds as rocks empress into my soles
Walking carefully not to step on glass
Getting weird looks as people pass
Wondering if people are judging me
Doubting my ability to enter places to be
I find myself grossed out walking into the bathroom
Wandering what bacteria and filth are starting to loom
On my bare feet
That I consider so delicate and meek
I think its important for us to take time to consider the blessings we so often take for granted. I've been blessed immensely through my process of preparing to move to Costa Rica. I cannot believe I am one week away from flying!! Thank you so much for being part of this journey with me!!
"My cup overflows with blessings" Psalm 23:5


No comments:
Post a Comment