Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hace un mes!! One Month!!


Hace una mes!

As of today, I’ve been in Costa Rica for one month!  Wow! It feels like 4 times that amount of time…  God’s already shown me His faithfulness in so many ways!

During this month I’ve….
Gone to Vida Joven Leadership Camp
Helped lead YL International Service Project
Planned and helped run 4 Young Life Clubs
Led my first Wyld Life Club
Geting to know International Kids
Started language school
Changed into a more challenging class
Spent lots of time with my Tico family
Learned how to use the bus to get to all areas of town
Learned to love the gross dogs in my house

This is only a short list of what my month has consisted of and now I’m starting to have somewhat of a routine.  This week I ran all over town every day after school doing Young Life stuff.  I’ve honestly felt exhausted all week so having the afternoon free today was such a glorious gift!  I’m definitely in transition and it’s different every day so I continue to lean on God for strength and contentment. 

Some of my favorite things about life in Costa Rica…

- Cafecito!!!!  - It’s the time of day when everyone returns to the house to share their days with each other and drink coffee together.
Lau and me at Crazy hat club!
- Bright colored houses line the streets
-  Families playing together in the parks
- Speaking Spanish with my Tico family and   helping them with their English
- Helping my Tico mom make her cakes that she sells
- Walking everywhere and being able to pray for 20 minutes walking to and from school
-  The community of Young Life surrounding me
-  The relational emphasis on every activity spent together
- Time is not important when you’re with someone else
- Mangos- My Tico mom knows I love them so she tries to have them for my breakfast everyday!
 
I could keep going I just wanted to share with you a few of the things I enjoy about living here!  I ask for prayers for our final YL clubs coming up, especially, since our team leader will actually be in States for them.  I humbly ask for prayers that I would continue to seek the Lord’s presence when I feel lonely or down about being far away from family and friends. 

Today in chapel at my language school, we sang Hosanna and this line hit me; “ You are my everything and I will adore you.”   God is all I need no matter where I am….  I needed to be reminded of this truth and how I should adore Him in all circumstances and situations. 




Found this buying supplies for club
thought it was hilarious with an American flag on it!
“We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it.  In fact, we expected to die.   But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead.”  2 Corinthians 1:8-9

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh I wish I were there with you! I pray that throughout the fun times and especially the roughhhh times, God is drawing you to Him and teaching you to lay down your life more and more. Found the bus to Tirrases yet? I just KNOW you're dying to go, so.... in front of the San Pedro mall, toward Concepcion, then change in Conce for the bus twds La Lia. Now you have no excuses...go tell them all hola for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, girl! Cafecito! In Germany they'd do desserts and coffee in the afternoon...that was my favorite, too. I still observe it sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ale!

    Things that make me think of you in CR, while I'm here in Gvilley:

    -I am around cafecito all the time. And now, when I go to coffee shops, I get coffee instead of tea!
    -I am now reading this book called: UNCOMMON GROUNDS. It's on the history of coffee and soo interesting!
    -I went running the other day past this house that looked like a tico house. (kinda sad). super run down, super bright colors, clothes on a clothes line outside, trash on the floor, rusty things sitting outside, it was crazy! right in the middle of greenville...a house from tico land. litterally. ill have to send you a pic.
    -theres a guy that comes into sb everyday, hes latino. he makes me speak in spanish to him at the register, so i practice occasionally!

    LOVE YOU.
    let's chat more soon :) ill call you!

    love lindz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep posting honey! They are informative and more importantly they are you. The last picture didn't make it though.Take the bus to the airport,then catch a plane to Knoxville.Call for a ride home and give me a hug. Now you don't have an excuse!

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete