I am continually blown away by God's control in every aspect of life...
So yesterday morning I woke up and decided I would finally go apply for a position at a local restaurant. I filled out the application about 4 months ago, but hadn't applied, questioning whether a part time job was something I should do at this time. Prior to this interview, I was really struggling with what I should tell them about my current employment status, and how I should inform them about my moving to Costa Rica. Initially, I thought about just not telling them, because it could've hindered my hiring. I discussed this with a few people that I trust and prayed about it up until the interview. Then I finally decided I wasn't comfortable leaving out information and that I would just be completely honest with them.
Well after several months of putting it off, I went to Calhoun's yesterday afternoon. I turned in my application and waited for a manager to interview me. In the restaurant industry they interview you on the spot, and since I have experience in the industry I knew the perfect time to go. While waiting on the manager, I was giving myself a pep talk about how I would be a great employee and just praying for words in the interview. I was pretty nervous, because I applied there a few years ago and know that they are selective in the hiring, but this was the ideal restaurant and location for me the serve. So the manager walks out and we sit down to discuss my application. She asked me a few quesitons about my other restaurant experience and then asked about my college major. She seemed intrigued to know what I would do with Spanish and Religion... This was my window to tell her... So I "came clean" and said, "Well actually, I have been hired by a company, but it is an international position that I am fundraising for so I need a part time job for the time being...." I'm thinking well there it goes... I''m not getting this job, but she wanted further information. She said, "But what will you be doing? " And my simple reply was," I am moving to Costa Rica to work for 3 years..." and she replied, "But what company?" I said, " I will be working with Young Life..."
She immediately smiled and said "Oh really! You just got yourself a job!"
I was shocked and responded... " Are you familiar with Young Life?" She said, "Yes, I have had several employees who work with Young Life, and I love to surround myself with those kind of people. I am a Christian and go to church and would love for you to work for me!" Wow! I was blown away at her response... I got to my car and just started crying praising God for His complete and utter control! It was such a neat feeling to know that this truth that I struggled with knowing whether to share or not was what actually got me the job! And the fact that this manager was the manager on duty when I came in, I believe was completely ordained by God. It could've been a number of other managers and I wouldn't have gotten the job....
But I share this story not to tell you I got a job, but to show you how God works in crazy ways! I was blown away by the manager's response to the simple words "Young Life." I am so blessed to be part of such a wonderful ministry and I am so glad you are able to be part of this ministry as well by partnering with me.
So what is it that makes a restaurant manager say, "Oh Young Life!".... I believe its the base of simply loving people for Christ. Young Life is a unique ministry for young people that really just loves them as they are like Christ loved people just as they were.
Here is an expert from theYoung Life Newsletter that explains how this is done:
"The principles [of Young Life] that had survived the trial and error of the first decade ...
2) Accept them as they are;
3) Learn how to walk in wisdom to those outside the faith;
4) See the dignity of each unique person;
5) Find a neutral setting for the club meeting;
6) Create a climate that is informal;
7) Speak naturally in terms familiar to the vocabulary of the kids;
8) Communicate your certainties rather than flaunt your doubts;
9) Consider it a sin to bore kids, especially with the Gospel;
10) Build on their instinct for adventure;
11) Capitalize on the elements of good humor and music to establish openness to the Gospel."
-Char Meredith, It's a Sin to Bore a Kid 1978, pp. 52-53.

love this! what a blessing!
ReplyDeleteugh this is soo good Lex! I love this! God is so good! :) xoxoxo
ReplyDelete