Monday, November 8, 2010

On the Mountain....

Over the past few weeks I've spent a great deal of time in the mountains and I believe the Lord has placed me physically there and metaphorically in the mountains...

Through the last three weeks, God has moved mountains in my heart and blown me away.  I would like to share a little of what I've been learning about Yahweh Yireh- "the Lord will provide." 

Last week, I received a verse of encouragement from a dear friend Numbers 23:19, "God is not man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.  Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"  So I spent some time looking at this story in Numbers 23, where God delivers messages to Isreal through Balaam.  This was a great reminder that God does provide what he promises and He has promised to provide for this ministry its just in His perfect timing.  

The past week I've been studying the different Old Testament stories listed in Hebrews 11, the chapter on faith, and I was reading it this morning focusing on Abraham's sacrifice of his only son, Isaac.  Reading through Genesis 22, I was just blown away by the amount of faith Abraham possessed.  He feared God enough to take his only son up to a mountain... Imagine trekking up a mountain carrying wood and a knife with your only son, knowing you were taking him up there to kill him!! And to add to it, this son was Abraham's only son because he waited until he was 100 years old before God provided him with a child!  Years before this God promised him that he would have a child and that his descendants would be blessed.  What faith!! I want to have this kind of faith.  To be willing to give up everything... everything... even the most important prized thing to follow the Lord.  While hiking up the mountain, Isaac asks his father "' but where is the skeep for the burnt offering?' 'God will provide a sheep for the burnt offering my son,' Abraham answered'" Genesis 22: 7-8 After Abraham ties his son to the altar an angel appears to stop him from sacrificing his son and the Lord provided a ram for Abraham to sacrifice in place of his son.  Abraham named this place Yahweh-Yireh "the Lord will provide" and people use this name as a proverb: "On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided" Genesis 22:14

God's brought me through some mountains during this process and I believe it was to break me down to the point where I could no longer do anything and had to rely completely on His provision.  And then it was like he shouted, I've got this in my hands and poured out his provision bumping me up to 51% of my budget raised.  God's promised to provide for us and wants to provide for us, but more than anything He wants our hearts.  I am praying for a big faith and continuing to learn what real trust means.    

I am so thankful for this time and all that God's provided me. 
His beautiful creation
Time with family and close friends
Financial provision
Encouragement and support
Thank you for being part of this journey!
May God bless you as you wait for His promises to you!

3 comments:

  1. Alex,

    Thanks for sharing your heart. And for being such an encouragement to me to trust in the Lord! I am so thankful for you and your passionate pursuit of what the Lord has in store for you!

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shell,

    Thank you for being part of this with me and encouraging me along the way! I want to see you sooooon!! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Al,

    I love hearing what God has been teaching you. I'm so excited about what you're doing and the impact you are already having on people and the impact you will have on people. This is such a hard/sweet time. God is doing so much in you. You're over 50% whoo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete