“It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it." Isaiah 55: 11
For three years now, I’ve fought to be in our kids lives and
to be in the school to reframe and restart what YL looks like here… It’s not
been an easy journey, but it’s been a wonderful one. There’s been a group of students at one of
the schools that I’ve been working to get in with and this year we had a group
of them come to Service Project!!
We had 24 kids go to Service Project- 14 never had been
before and 9 kids had never even been to YL before! Little did they know what they were in
for!!
Our service project this year was back in Talamanca with
Vida Net Ministry, where we went last year, working at their community base to
build a standalone kitchen for the organization to be able to host large
community events and have enough space to cook for everyone. So what did that entail? Rocks, rocks, and more rocks!!! We carried bolder sized to pebble sized rocks
up from the river all week long to construct the base of this kitchen. We had to build it up a meter high in order
for it to withstand flooding because it is a pretty wet area. So we laid the foundation of rocks and
concreted half of the floor and left the other half ready for the locals to
finish the concrete that week!! This was a large part of our week, but the best
part was being with our students. That is the unique thing about our service
project is that we as leaders get to work alongside our friends during the day
then have fun and talk about life and Jesus in the evening.
| We spent many hours in this river collecting rocks to carry back to the site! Joining me in photo-Stephanny, a CC girl, and Becka, our speaker's wife! |
| Rocks Rocks Rocks!! |
Another huge part of this week is every evening we have YL Club where we play games and sing silly songs and get to hear the Gospel over the course of the week. This year our volunteer leaders, the Boone bros, were Gnarly Surfer Bronas Bros and hosted the week of YL Clubs!! We played all kinds of crazy games from chasing a plunger around the room, fitting as many people as possible on a cardboard surf board, to eating sardines covered in condensed milk... Gross!! But we had a blast and our speaker Kevin set us up well in sharing the best part with our kids, the love story of Jesus Christ.
| Bronas Bros- aka Bradyn and Jason! |
| Broga pose of the day getting ready to shred the gnarl!! |
| Blindfolded Musical chairs! |
| Hanging out before dinner |
| One of the many jam sessions of the week |
| Listening to our talented musicians shine! |
| Our rockin' team of leaders! |
| My Cabin of girls- Lindsey, Dania, Tamasha, Ari, Rachel (Leader), Camille and Marianna |
This year’s Service Project I was in a cabin with senior
girls and one other girl I’ve disciple throughout the years, and I am pretty close
to them all but they aren’t all necessarily that close, so I didn’t know how
they’d mesh together. But night one I
was blown away at how open and vulnerable they were in their desires to be
there and know God and share what they were struggling with in life…. Also, the first night Marianna, one of my
Cross Country girls, shares in our cabin time that she wanted to be closer to
God. Which blew me away! I’ve spent lots
of time with her and we’ve had many real life conversations, but she’s never
expressed much desire to know Jesus even when I’ve talked about Him with
her.
Well the week continued with many
deep conversations and late night discussions about my life and faith with her. She was struggling with a lot of things that
have happened in her life and that she mentally battles. I was able to share my own life struggles
with her and how no matter what’s happened to us the only thing in this life
and world that will fulfill us and heal us is Jesus. And how he’s the only true, lasting love that
will satisfy us. Then at the end of the
week I got to celebrate with her as she stood up on the beach at a time YL
calls “Say So,” where we allow the kids to stand up at the end of camp and
share what God’s done in their lives, and say that she wants a relationship
with Jesus and wants to pursue Him again.
And Mariana wasn’t the only one who stood up our last day!!
We had 8 students stand up and say they had made decisions to have a
relationship with God that week!! And
several students shared how they’d had many questions answered about God and
the Bible throughout the week that’s brought them closer to God. I am so overjoyed and grateful to see what
God’s doing in our kids’ lives and to see how he’s moving in this community!!
| Playing after a hard week of working! |
God is so good and so faithful!! He produces fruit in his
time! I am so thankful for each of you that have traveled through this journey
with me and encouraged me when things were tough and celebrated with me in the
joys!! And I’m so excited that we get to celebrate 8 kids together now!! And I
feel so blessed to be part of what the Lord’s doing here in Costa Rica and that
in His grace I was able to see a little peek at the fruit that is going to
happen in this community I’ve invested in the past 3 years. What an incredible way to finish up my last
semester seeing kids I love so much find real life and hope in Jesus!!
The journey doesn’t end here either… we are still walking
alongside our high school friends as they continue to search and question and
learn about Jesus. Please pray for these
8 kids that have made decisions to follow Jesus, as it is a hard place to
really live out your faith- for strength and courage and freedom in seeking a
relationship with Jesus. And I ask for
prayers for myself and our other leaders as they walk with our kids in this new
journey together.

No comments:
Post a Comment