The ugly
beautiful.....
Why are we so scared of the unknown…? Of the
ugly…?
This site was the favorite part of my walk
around town... An old beautiful farm where I used to talk to the cows as I
passed by... Now it's under construction to build government housing for an
impoverished community that lost their homes a few years ago due to an earthquake.
Everyone I've talked to about it is really upset... Scared of "these
people" moving into our neighborhood.
"Why?" I ask....
Is it because they're different? Just because they're poor?
Because they could bring crime to the area? Why do people respond this way to
the unknown? …to something that’s different? Why do I respond this way?
Why did my youngest brother at 5 years old plug
his ears and scream when he heard another language because he can't understand
it...? Why are we so terrified of different?
When living in the states, I worked in some
underprivileged communities with the Latino immigrant community and received similar
responses to people when I told them where I was working... Everyone was
fearful for me to be in those areas and with "those people."
Why though...?
Why is it we fear the unknown? Fear "these
people" like they're some other species from another planet or something...
Why do we fear what may look ugly or poor or scary on the
outside without really taking a look?
Aren't we all just human living the lot we've
been given... Why do we fear the different and look down on it as if it’s
something ugly and unworthy?
Aren't we all just humans created in the image of
our Creator? Then why is it that we can't see each other as equals or just as
another reflection of our Creator?
I want to challenge you to take a deeper look.
….to pray for God’s eyes to see people for who
they truly are.
Why do people respond to this construction in
anger and fear, instead of joy and excitement that our brothers and sisters are
going to have new homes finally after three years....?
Why can't we take a deeper look at Lonsdale as a
place where other humans are living and striving to live the best they can in
the life they've been handed…?
Why can't we look at Upstate South Carolina and
see the hundreds of families working hard to make enough money to send home to
their families, so they aren't starving…?
These areas might look a little ugly from the
outside or even the inside and there might even be higher crime rates... But
does that mean that we're not called I love them...? Because isn't that all
they're doing is crying out for love? For life?
So I want to challenge you to take a deeper look and pray for God to give
you his perspective on whatever your "government housing construction
site" is, whatever it is that seems ugly, unworthy, scary, unknown to you,
and see the beauty in it...
“Because
somewhere, underneath the grime of this broken world, everything has the
radiant fingerprints of God on it. Seeing the world with Jesus’s eyes, we have the astonishing opportunity to
daily love the unlovely into loveliness….” – Ann Voskamp
(aholyexperience.com, author of One
Thousand Gifts)
See that God’s making it lovely!









No comments:
Post a Comment