Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Transitions and Celebrations!


My life of transitions…

I finished language school and graduated August 12th.  A parade of flags began the beautiful ceremony with everyone representing the countries they are going to serve.  Once again 1 Corinthians 13 appeared, the message discussed the opening verses of the chapter that discuss how one can speak any language but without love there is no purpose. The speaker was encouraging us that language learning is a process and we will mess up, but the way in which we try to communicate with people is what is truly important.  We must love people.  It doesn’t matter what you say it’s how you say it that matters most of the time.  It was a beautiful celebration of all the hard work of the teachers, administration and students.  I will miss my friends a great deal.  ILE is such a unique school and I feel very privileged to have been able to spend four months there.  After the ceremony, I spent the afternoon with some friends sharing the ways in which we’ve touched each other’s lives.  It was so encouraging to hear how God works through people. 

Two days after the graduation, I met my tico family at my house mom’s mother’s house to celebrate their birthdays and mother’s day.  El Día del Madre (Mother’s Day) is a huge deal here!  They have advertisements for months proceeding the holiday and everyone has the day of August 15th off no matter what day of the week it falls each year.  After an adventure in the bus and asking the bus driver to help me I arrived to Momi’s (Olga’s mom) house.  Almost all of the family was there in the small house.  All ten of the children and their families were there and they loved every minute of it.  It was so neat to see the love this mother has for all her children and grandchildren.  She prayed for all 10 of her children and their families.  It was a crazy fun day.  There was tons of yelling and talking over each other to try to get their word in, so you can only imagine how difficult it was to understand and talk to anyone.   I spent most of the day listening and laughing but never once felt out of place.  Love crosses all borders. 


Love never fails.  Love never gives up.  Love never loses faith. Love is always hopeful.  Love endures through all circumstances.  ~ 1 Corinthians 13

1 comment: