As though it may sound I was not actually hardcore rock climbing, but I did climb a great deal of metaphorical mountains during my past month. January 2nd I flew out bright and early to Denver where I caught my shuttle to Colorado Springs for Cross Cultural Orientation. Going into the month I was not looking forward to three months of training and meeting new people. Looking back in retrospect I was simply scared of the unknown that I was about to face. My first week of training consisted of five days of intensive heart, mind and soul searching. We discussed a lot about our culture and how that affects who we are now. It was a neat exercise for me to really analyze the culture I’ve grown up around and never thought anything of it
Some of the things I pondered….
Fried chicken
Churches on every corner
Everyone pretty much believes they’re a Christian whether they follow Christ or not
Freedom
Competiveness
Goal Oriented
Loud
$$
Voice
Rights
Customer Service
Volunteerism
Consumerism
Equality
Patriotism
Action- Problem Solving Oriented
A huge point of our cross Cultural training was a series of sessions given by a therapists to help us label and understand the process we will endure in this transition of life. It was difficult for me to swallow but good for me to think about and process. This week was so beneficial for me to be surrounded by like minded people who can relate and understand where I am in life.
Thursday January 6th we had our commissioning service where we were all prayed over and sent out into our future mission fields. After this service I loaded up in a car FULL, I mean full, of luggage and friends to our next two weeks of training at Crooked Creek Ranch in Fraser, CO. We were all very apprehensive about entering these next two weeks of intensive learning and meeting more people after have such a draining week. But New Staff Training was such a wonderful experience in so many ways. We were able to hear and learn from some of the oldest staff members in Young Life and well renowned theological professors and authors. One of my favorite parts of NST was a series called “Roots and Fruits” given by Bob Mitchell and his wife Claudia. They are a precious couple in their eighties who told us the history of Young Life.
Brief synopsis from “Roots and Fruits”:
Bob Mitchell’s family was one of the first families that Jim Rayburn, founder of Young Life, approached to seek financial support to begin Young Life. Bob told us a story of Jim coming to their home asking for money to buy a circus tent to host this youth event he called “Young Life Campaign.” He was starting one of the first youth outreach programs during such a dark difficult time for our country in the height of World War II. Jim held large youth events in the circus tent traveling around Texas for a while where 500…800…1,000 kids would come to sing, play games and hear Jim talk about the love of Jesus.
He eventually realized hosting these events weren’t the most practical way to reach kids so Jim approached the Mitchell family again to see if YL Campaign could be held in their home and the Mitchells agreed to let Jim use their cabin in the back for the Young Life Campaign called “Club 37.” You probably are wondering why 37? Well Bob told us Jim named it 37 so it wouldn’t seem like the first and kids would think this guy has 36 clubs somewhere else. This vision that one man had starting in 1940 reaching out to youth and going into their world is now a 70 year old ministry that still holds these core values.
1. A radical focus upon Jesus and the wonder of the Incarnation
2. Scripture is the basis of our purpose and message
3. Diversity
4. Prayer and Intimacy with God
5. Reaching out to uncommitted high school, middle school, and college students- those on the outside
6. Reaching the full spectrum of people… suburban, urban, small town, moms, International, all ethnicities, and backgrounds
7. Commitment to Spiritual Nurture
8. Equal Opportunity for Men and Women in full time staff positions
9. In life and ministry recognize we’re part of the Church of the World
10. Organization and Personal Integrity
11. Encourage Creativity and New approaches for reaching people for the Gospel
12. Local Committees
13. Commitment to quality training at all levels
14. Don’t let leaders identity be on performance
15. Always maintain our sense of humor and our spirit of adventure
Bob shared these core Young Life values with us and Jim’s last words while he was dying that sum up Young Life’s mission best, “Don’t ever let them quit talking about Jesus.”
![]() |
| Beautiful Sunrise we woke up to! |
I am so excited and blessed to be part of this ministry and cannot wait to use all the information and knowledge I gained during this month. On top of many sessions discussing Young Life methods we also had the opportunity to take two seminary courses, one called Introduction to Youth Ministry by Dr. Chap Clark, Fuller Theological School, and the other was Communicating Christ to Adolescents by Dr. Darrel Bock. Both courses were very intense and covered a great deal of information that I will be processing in the coming months doing my assignments for the courses.
![]() |
| One of our many days of WHITE OUT Snow!! |
After training I feel much more equipped and prepared to go to Costa Rica and work with International students. I hope that I am able to use the knowledge I’ve gained to be able to better relate to and share Christ with these teens. Thank you for your prayers and support during this time God worked in my heart in many ways while I was away in His beautiful creation.
![]() |
| Some of my new found International Staff friends, Erin- Germany, Suzanne- China and Becky- Norway |



sounds wonderful! glad it was so encouraging for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks meg it was great!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great summing up of your training! I'm so glad you were so blessed there!! Trainings like these continue to be one of my very favorite parts of working with Young Life. And I know what you hear about transition and culture shock at CCO can be overwhelming, and sometimes life here is overwhelming, but you totally get through it and it's so much more than worth it. The sweetest part (apart from sharing Jesus with kids who may never have heard about Him otherwise)...getting to know Jesus better, I mean really getting to know Him better. The intimacy is what keeps you going in those culture shock-y days or weeks. Can't wait for you to be down here Miss Alex! We are all anxiously awaiting your arrival, but confident that Jesus is doing great things in and through you where you are and He won't bring you down here one minute before His perfect timing for you. Besos y abrazos!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Ali! I can't wait to be there! I love hearing stories from you guys. Praying for you! besos y abrazos
ReplyDeleteOooo..can I have a copy of that last pic? Roomies!
ReplyDelete